DOT to make Brooklyn Bridge Park safer
by Heather Senison
Feb 02, 2012 | 803 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
As part of its ongoing effort to make the roadways around Brooklyn Bridge Park safer, the city announced recently it will reconstruct the onramp to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway so pedestrians will no longer have to dodge through traffic while walking along Atlantic Avenue.

“Last spring,” said Councilman Brad Lander, who's been a strong advocate for improvements around the park, in a statement, “neighbors could see that the traffic situation at the entrance to Brooklyn Brdge Park at Atlantic Avenue was an accident waiting to happen.”

He said parents and children played “frogger” to avoid getting hit by oncoming traffic when approaching the Pier 6 entrance.

In response to the problem, the Department of Transportation (DOT) last year improved sidewalks, enlarged a pedestrian space on the south side of Atlantic Avenue, and installed new electronic pedestrian signals, according to Lander's office.

Earlier this month, the DOT worked with the community to put forward a plan to add pedestrian islands to the crosswalk at the expressway onramp and to eliminate an early-morning “right turn on red” allowance.

The Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation agreed that the DOT worked with elected officials, community boards and neighbors to improve safety in the area, according to a representative, Ellen Ryan.

“Brooklyn Bridge Park is strongly supportive of both the existing improvements that NYC DOT has made,” Ryan said, “and the proposed changes that they announced this month to provide a safer and more enjoyable walk to and from Brooklyn Bridge Park's Pier 6 entrance at Atlantic Avenue.”

According to the DOT, changes are expected to be made early this summer.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet