The 59-count indictment is in connection with 10 separate shooting incidents that left seven people injured in an extended turf war, authorities said.
“This indictment describes a terrifying mix of deadly force and mindless obsessions with turf, leading to serious consequences for innocent bystanders,” Gonzalez said.
Nine of the 12 defendants were arraigned last week and this week in Brooklyn Supreme Court and held on bail. The other three are still awaiting arraignment.
All of the defendants were charged with second-and-fourth degree conspiracy. Some were charged with attempted murder, criminal use of a firearm, attempted assault and reckless endangerment.
The alleged gang members face up to 25 years in prison for the top conspiracy count, officials said.
“Today’s arrests and indictment will continue helping reduce violence that have helped make our city the safest big city in America,” O’Neill said.
The 12 people arrested range in age from 17 to 26 and were allegedly part of the True Bosses Only (TBO) gang, which operates within the 83rd Precinct in parts of Bushwick.
According to authorities, between July 2015 and June 2017, TBO members have been fighting with the Elm Street Piru gang in Bushwick, the Loot Gang in Ocean Hill, and the 900 Gang near the Sumner Houses in Bushwick.
Officials said all 12 defendants conspired to murder and assault other gang members to maintain dominance over their turf. They used social media to “direct acts of violence” toward rival gang members and took credit for their actions.
Some gang members taunted their rivals by taking photos and videos of themselves in others’ territory and then posting it on Facebook and YouTube.
Authorities also said the defendants made “community guns” available for TBO members to shoot at their rivals. Three rival gang members were shot and injured during the turf war, officials said.
Gonzalez mapped out a series of incidents, starting in July 2015, that showed violence by the TBO members.
On July 8, 2015, TBO member Hector Lleras fired shots across the street from Hi-Mango Market in Bushwick, but missed his target. The bullet went through the window of a car parked nearby, narrowly missing a man sitting in the front seat.
Later that October, TBO’s Gilbert Arciliares shot three times inside Elm Street Piru territory. One bullet hit an MTA bus, shattering a window and almost striking a passenger. The rider suffered cuts to her forehead from the broken glass.
Last September, Arciliares again fired multiple times at Elm Street Piru members, but instead hit two innocent women walking by.
And this March, Arciliares fired two more shots at two Piru gang members riding on bikes. He missed them, but struck a bystander in the torso.
Most of the defendants come from parts of Brooklyn including Fort Greene, Gravesend, Bushwick, Canarsie and Bedford-Stuyvesant. The three others come from the Bronx, Staten Island and Arverne, Queens.
Gonzalez said many of the territorial disputes happened around public housing developments. The acting DA recently launched a Public Housing Crime Suppression Unit that works to reduce crime using data-driven intelligence.
“The Unit will work closely with resident associations, community members, NYCHA and the NYPD to proactively suppress crime and violence, maintain safety and develop trust,” Gonzalez said.